This is a winter flowering deciduous tree or small shrub form Japan. Grown for the masses of pale golden yellow flowers that appear in late winter to spring, this is a small tree or shrub that will reach around 3 metres (10 ft) in height over time.
Foliage emerges a bronze colour before turning a mid green, oval and deeply veined or textured. The flowers appear on bare stems and hang gracefully in racemes around 5 cm ( 2 inches ) in length. Flowers are fragrant and last well on the tree.
The plant is shrub like, multi stemmed and easy care in a well drained soil.
After planting water well and mulch around the plant to maintain a cool moist root run.
- Height – To 3 metre
- Spread – Over time it can reach 2 metres.
- Soil – Humus rich well drained with some moisture.
- Position – Full sun to dappled afternoon shade for good flowering. In warmer climates part shade is best.
- Growth Rate – Medium to fast
- Flowers – Pale golden yellow.
- Flowering period – Late winter to spring.
- Pruning – Although pruning is not generally required, you may wish to prune by taking a branch section to use as a cut flower arrangement in winter. Tip pruning is not recommended as it tends to destroy the natural shape of the plant.
- Ogon (syn ‘Aurea’) is a golden leafed variety.
- ‘Golden Spring’ is another with golden foliage in spring.
Excellent in the garden border where it adds colour in winter and works as a background foliage plant from spring through to autumn.
With fragrant flowers it can also be used in a sensory garden.
This is an easy plant to propagate by cuttings taken after flowering.
Corylopsis spicata or Spike Witchhazel is available for sale from the following nurseries.
82 David Hill Rd Monbulk (Opposite Vika Ave)
Japanese Maple and Magnolia specialists, Wholesale and Retail. Large range of other deciduous and evergreen ornamental trees and shrubs.