Phlomis plants and species
The great thing about Phlomis is that it adds height to the garden and with its sturdy growth habit Phlomis varieties such as the yellow flowering ‘Edward Bowles’ make an excellent addition to,the cottage garden.
Phlomis are mostly a tall ( to 1m) growing perennial fairly drought resistant and hardy. So varieties are shorter growing with the rarely offered pink flowering P. taurica reaching only around 50 cm.
Pink purple or yellow flowers in summer and nice green foliage. Seed-heads can give a sculptural effect if left uncut.
You can plant most varieties with winter flowering bulbs as it is a plant that that dies right back and does not come to life again until mid spring.
- P. samia has pink to beige flowers.
- P. russelliana with its lemon flowers will form a large clump – Also known as Turkish sage..
- P. tuberosa ( jerusalem sage) has red stems and pink flowers.
- P. cashmeriana has lilac flowers. All can be cut back after flowering to promote new growth.
- P. fruticosa is also known as ‘Jerusalem Sage’.
- P. italica has dusty pink lilac flowers.
- P. taurica – Very attractive pink to mauve flowers through summer, deep green foliage.
A little protection from strong winds and frosts and a good humus rich soil is about all most varieties need. Plants can be left with the spent flower heads through winter to add interest.
Varieties do differ in growth habit, however most are very easy care and drought tolerant.
- Position – Full sun.
- Soil – Humus rich and well drained.
- Flowers – Yellow through to pink depending on variety.
- Foliage – Deep to mid green.
- Flowering period – Summer.
- Drought tolerant – Yes.
Propagation is easy from cuttings taken in late summer. Clumps can be divided in autumn or in late winter.
Phlomis varieties are available for sale from the following nurseries.
52 Rodd St Canowindra NSW 2804
An online nursery specialising in drought and frost tolerant perennials and fragrant, edible and herbs.
Large variety of Epimediums, Woodland plants and Herbaceous perennials
Mail order or nursery. We do not send to Tasmania or WA
395 Lesters Rd Ascot VIC 3364 - phone (03) 53434303
Specialising in beautiful perennials & bulbs including new releases from Europe & USA. Many hardy, rare & difficult to find ‘drought hardy’ plants, quality vegetable & flower seeds.
1070 Jacksons Track, Jindivick 3818
Specialising in growing and selling Rare and Unusual Trees, shrubs Perennials Bulbs and Climbers, a unique nursery with amazing stock.
PO Box 7040 Leura NSW 2780
Rare woodland plants, Trilliums Epimediums, Arisaemas, plus much more.www.lynnsrareplants.com.au
'Umbango' 750 Humula Rd, Humula NSW 2652
Phone 0408692773 Great Range of Perennial plants available for sale by mail order.