Bidens ferulifolia (syn Coreopsis ferulifolia)
This is a fascinating plant and Bidens ferulifolia has its place in the garden as well as in hanging baskets.
With the common name of ‘Tickseed’ the plant was formerly known as Coreopsis ferulifolia.
The interest comes from the different forms, some are upright and will form a large plant over time. Others are lower growing or trailing.
All are vigorous and all have masses of yellow flowers from summer through to autumn.
Originally from Mexico, it is the cultivars such as Bidens ferulifolia ‘Bidy Gonzales’ that are the most popular. These are lower growing at around half the height of the species.
Bidens ferulifolia varieties include :
- B. ferulifolia ‘Tweety’ – To around 40cm in height.
- B. ferulifolia ‘ Yellow Charm’ – Low growing to around 20 – 30 cm
- B. ferulifolia ‘Sunnyside’ – Larger flowers than some.
- B. ferulifolia ‘Goldilocks Rocks’ – To around 40cm in height
- B. ferulifolia ‘Flair’ – Reaches around 40cm in height.
Excellent in hanging baskets, also suited to a sunny position in the border or a container. Very attractive to bees, butterflies and insects when in flower.
Bidens ferulifolia Care
Prepare soil before planting by amending with some well rotted compost.
- Mulch around the plant to maintain moisture and a cool root run.
- Water in well with aliquot seaweed fertiliser.
- Use a slow release fertiliser in spring.
- Over time Bidens ferulifolia will form a clump and can be divided in spring.
- Height – Species to 60 cm cultivars to 30cm
- Spread – 30 – 45 cm
- Position – Full Sun
- Soil – Humus rich well drained with some moisture.
- Flower colour – Golden Yellow
- Foliage – Mid to deep green.
- Frost Tolerant – No
Bidens varieties are available for sale from the following nurseries