Calanthe orchids are a cool growing genus diveded into evergreen and deciduous species. The Christmas Orchid, Calanthe triplicata (Christmas Orchid) and other Calanthe species are a wide spread group of terrestrial orchids some native to Australia and some not. C. discolor is from Japan where it grows in forested areas. Calanthe tricarinata is more wide spread.
C.sieboldii has large yellow flowers and is fairly hardy in a woodland situation and C. dominii is a very old hybrid. C. vestita is worth looking for as well.
Plant Calanthe in semi shade for best results. However being a fairly varied group we suggest you seek specific growing and care instructions on purchase.
Varieties and Species
Calanthe Orchids are now much hybridized and with long arching flower stems are a graceful addition to any orchid collection.
- Calanthe sieboldii with its yellow flowers prefers part shade.
- Calanthe Rubes is originally from Thailand and has pinkish red flowers.
- Calanthe discolor is from Japan and is a cold hardy species.
- Calanthe reflexa is a late bloomer, also from Japan.
- Calanthe triplicata is an evergreen species from Australia (Queensland) where it is known as the Christmas Orchid.
- Calanthe vestita is a popular indoor plant.
Calanthe Orchids are available for sale from the following growers