Syzygium australe are originally from Queensland and cultivars range from small shrubs to large trees.
Syzygium australe 'Bush Christmas' is reasonably compact and will reach 3m. 'Aussie Southern' will get to 4m as will 'Big Red'.
Syzygium australe pinnacle is a narrow growing cultivar, excellent for hedges. Syzygium australe are valued for what is regarded as a non invasive root system and making a great hedging plant.
- Syzygium australe 'Resilience' - better resistance to Psyllids than most. Reaches around 4m in height.
- Syzygium australe 'Orange Twist' - Bright new orange growth on a plsnt that will be best at around 3m. Masses of white flowers in spring, followed by trademark purple berries.
- Syzygium australe 'Hinterland Gold' - Larger growing to around 6m in height, golden coppery new growth in spring.
- Syzygium australe 'Pinnacle' - A more upright growth habit as the name suggests, will reach around 6m in height with a narrow spread to 3m depending on conditions.
- Syzygium australe 'Opal Maze' - Another compact fprm to around 3m in height. Nice rounded growth habit. Smaller foliage lends itself more readily to pruning than some others.
Hedging plant or for screening around dining and outdoor entertaing areas. Background plant in the garden border or as a windbreak.
A well drained humus rich soil and a sunny position will provide best growth rate.
- Full sun to part shade
- Fertilise with a native plant fertiliser in spring
- Mulch around plants to maintain a cool root run.